Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Week 4 EOC: Dicussion Questions Chapter 4


1. Currently, how many divisions do Dolce & Gabbana have in their company?  Has it grown since this chapter was written?  If so, how?

Dolce & Gabbana, D&G and D&G Junior are the current divisions in Dolce & Gabbana.  Dolce & Gabbana is their luxury brand, D&G is aimed toward a younger crowd with a lower price point, and D&G Junior is their children’s brand.

2. Do you think Dolce & Gabbana cater to the fashionistas that the rest of the design world has rejected?  Why do you think they have dressed women like Isabella Rossellini, Madonna, Kylie Minogue, and Brooke Shields?  Do you think these women are risqué?  Why or why not?

I believe that Dolce & Gabbana does not cater to a specific customer, being that their style is so specific and eccentric.  I do believe, however, that they appeal to many (including “rejected fashionistas”).  The brand is risqué with risqué ads so it’s fitting that the celebrities they dress fit into the realm of risqué as well.

3. Do you think gay and lesbian consumers purchase different fashion brands than heterosexuals?  Do you think it was smart for Dolce & Gabbana to target this market?  Why or why not?

I think gay and lesbian consumers purchase similar items to heterosexuals.  To reverse the situation, thought, I do not think heterosexuals are drawn to the same items as gay and lesbian consumers.  Dolce & Gabbana was smart in choosing to target that market being that there are not many brand names willing to put their name on the line for the sake of appealing to such a market.  I myself, being conservative, am very turned off by this brand.  Dolce & Gabbana does not appeal to me and I would refrain from purchasing anything with their name on it.  That being said, I feel there is a very miniscule percentage of consumers out there with the same mindset as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment